The Chimney Sweep Online Fireplace, Woodstove, Gas Stove and Barbecue Shop
Sweep's Library: Why Inspect Gas Installations?
Q: I notice you recommend an annual inspection of my gas stove and chimney. I understand there's no creosote
deposits from gas appliances, so why should I be concerned?
A: Our annual inspections have revealed many cases of blockage not caused by creosote formation: some
of the things we've removed from chimney flues include collapsed liner tiles, roofing shingles, plugged rain caps,
loose bricks or mortar falling down the inside of the flue, branches & leaves, birds, bird nests, raccoons, even
footballs & frisbees.
Gas exhaust contains nitric acid, which attacks chimney mortar joints and can cause the chimney structure to collapse. All chimneys venting gas exhaust need a properly sized liner, to provide adequate updraft and keep the acid from contact with the mortar. We check the chimney to ensure that it is properly lined, and that the liner isn't cracked or broken.
We also examine, clean, and reset the burner & pilot orifices and air intake settings on the appliance, and inspect
the gas inlet, connector pipe and flue for gas and exhaust leaks, because system components and fittings
deteriorate over time.
The reason for concern is that a leaking, blocked or partially blocked gas flue will usually result in odorless
exhaust gases entering the breathing space in the house below. Gas exhaust contains, among other things, carbon
monoxide and carbon dioxide. Exposure to these CO gases has recently become a matter of much concern. To
read about a recent study regarding long-term effects of exposure to CO, click here.
To return to the page you came from, use the < BACK button on your browser or click a button below:
The Chimney Sweep, Inc.
913 Harris Avenue
Bellingham, WA 98225-7032
1(888)-354-6722 toll-free in U.S. & Canada
To send us E-Mail, Click Standard E-Mail Window or (our reply form)
Copyright © 1996 - 2013 The Chimney Sweep, Inc.